Focus on Geography Series, 2016 Census

Province of Newfoundland and Labrador

Data quality

Total population by Aboriginal identity and Registered or Treaty Indian status, Newfoundland and Labrador, 2016 Census

Total population by Aboriginal identity and Registered or Treaty Indian status, Newfoundland and Labrador, 2016
Aboriginal identity Number Percent (%)
Total – Population by Aboriginal identity 512,250 100.0
Aboriginal identity 45,725 8.9
Single Aboriginal response 42,610 8.3
First Nations (North American Indian) single identity 28,375 5.5
First Nations single identity (Registered or Treaty Indian) 17,625 3.4
First Nations single identity (not a Registered or Treaty Indian) 10,745 2.1
Métis single identity 7,790 1.5
Inuk (Inuit) single identity 6,450 1.3
Multiple Aboriginal identities 555 0.1
Aboriginal identities not included elsewhere 2,560 0.5
Non-Aboriginal identity 466,525 91.1
  • In 2016, there were 45,725 Aboriginal people in Newfoundland and Labrador, making up 8.9% of the population.
  • The majority of the Aboriginal population reported a single Aboriginal identity – either First Nations, Métis or Inuk (Inuit). Of the Aboriginal population in Newfoundland and Labrador, 62.1% (28,375) were First Nations people, 17.0% (7,790) were Métis, and 14.1% (6,450) were Inuit.
  • Within the First Nations population, 62.1% (17,625) had Registered or Treaty Indian status, as defined under the Indian Act. The other 37.9% (10,745) of the First Nations population did not have Registered or Treaty Indian status.
  • In addition to those who reported a single Aboriginal identity, 555 people reported more than one Aboriginal identity and 2,560 were defined as having an Aboriginal identity that was not included elsewhere.

Figure 1.1 Distribution of the Aboriginal population by population centre size, Newfoundland and Labrador, 2016

Figure 1.1 description Long description for Figure 1.1 Distribution of the Aboriginal population by population centre size, Newfoundland and Labrador, 2016

Figure 1.2 Distribution of the First Nations population with registered Indian status by residence on or off reserve, Newfoundland and Labrador, 2016

Figure 1.2 description Long description for Figure 1.2 Distribution of the First Nations population with registered Indian status by residence on or off reserve, Newfoundland and Labrador, 2016

In general, the Aboriginal population is younger than the non-Aboriginal population.

Aboriginal children aged 14 and under represented 20.7% of the total Aboriginal population, while non-Aboriginal children aged 14 and under accounted for 13.9% of the non-Aboriginal population.

The average age of the Aboriginal population in Newfoundland and Labrador was 37.0 years, compared with 43.8 years for the non-Aboriginal population.

The average age was 37.3 years for First Nations people; it was 36.2 years for Métis; and it was 35.4 years for Inuit.

Figure 1.3 Age distribution by Aboriginal identity, Newfoundland and Labrador, 2016

Figure 1.3 description Long description for Figure 1.3 Age distribution by Aboriginal identity, Newfoundland and Labrador, 2016

Figure 1.4 Top #AB_IDENT_TOPCMAs_PROV.recordcount# Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations by Aboriginal identity, Newfoundland and Labrador, 2016

Figure 1.4 description Long description for Figure 1.4 Top #AB_IDENT_TOPCMAs_PROV.recordcount# Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations by Aboriginal identity, Newfoundland and Labrador, 2016

Figure 1.5 First Nations people, Métis and Inuit for selected Aboriginal language indicators, Newfoundland and Labrador, 2016

Figure 1.5 description Long description for Figure 1.5 First Nations people, Métis and Inuit for selected Aboriginal language indicators, Newfoundland and Labrador, 2016

Figure 1.6 Top 6 most common Aboriginal mother tongues for the total Aboriginal Population, Newfoundland and Labrador, 2016

Figure 1.6 description Long description for Figure 1.6 Top 6 most common Aboriginal mother tongues for the total Aboriginal Population, Newfoundland and Labrador, 2016

Symbols:

···
not applicable
··
incompletely enumerated Indian reserve or Indian settlement
r
revised
E
use with caution

Source:

Statistics Canada. 2017. Focus on Geography Series, 2016 Census. Statistics Canada Catalogue no. 98-404-X2016001. Ottawa, Ontario. Data products, 2016 Census.

Report a problem on this page

Is something not working? Is there information outdated? Can't find what you're looking for?

Please contact us and let us know how we can help you.

Privacy notice

Date modified: