Focus on Geography Series, 2016 Census

Province of Saskatchewan

Data quality

Total population by Aboriginal identity and Registered or Treaty Indian status, Saskatchewan, 2016 Census

Total population by Aboriginal identity and Registered or Treaty Indian status, Saskatchewan, 2016
Aboriginal identity Number Percent (%)
Total – Population by Aboriginal identity 1,070,560 100.0
Aboriginal identity 175,015 16.3
Single Aboriginal response 172,810 16.1
First Nations (North American Indian) single identity 114,570 10.7
First Nations single identity (Registered or Treaty Indian) 106,440 9.9
First Nations single identity (not a Registered or Treaty Indian) 8,130 0.8
Métis single identity 57,880 5.4
Inuk (Inuit) single identity 360 0.0
Multiple Aboriginal identities 1,300 0.1
Aboriginal identities not included elsewhere 905 0.1
Non-Aboriginal identity 895,540 83.7
  • In 2016, there were 175,015 Aboriginal people in Saskatchewan, making up 16.3% of the population.
  • The majority of the Aboriginal population reported a single Aboriginal identity – either First Nations, Métis or Inuk (Inuit). Of the Aboriginal population in Saskatchewan, 65.5% (114,570) were First Nations people, 33.1% (57,880) were Métis, and 0.2% ( 360) were Inuit.
  • Within the First Nations population, 92.9% (106,440) had Registered or Treaty Indian status, as defined under the Indian Act. The other 7.1% (8,130) of the First Nations population did not have Registered or Treaty Indian status.
  • In addition to those who reported a single Aboriginal identity, 1,300 people reported more than one Aboriginal identity and 905 were defined as having an Aboriginal identity that was not included elsewhere.

Figure 1.1 Distribution of the Aboriginal population by population centre size, Saskatchewan, 2016

Figure 1.1 description Long description for Figure 1.1 Distribution of the Aboriginal population by population centre size, Saskatchewan, 2016

Figure 1.2 Distribution of the First Nations population with registered Indian status by residence on or off reserve, Saskatchewan, 2016

Figure 1.2 description Long description for Figure 1.2 Distribution of the First Nations population with registered Indian status by residence on or off reserve, Saskatchewan, 2016

In general, the Aboriginal population is younger than the non-Aboriginal population.

Aboriginal children aged 14 and under represented 33.0% of the total Aboriginal population, while non-Aboriginal children aged 14 and under accounted for 17.4% of the non-Aboriginal population.

The average age of the Aboriginal population in Saskatchewan was 28.2 years, compared with 40.6 years for the non-Aboriginal population.

The average age was 26.4 years for First Nations people; it was 31.5 years for Métis; and it was 28.7 years for Inuit.

Figure 1.3 Age distribution by Aboriginal identity, Saskatchewan, 2016

Figure 1.3 description Long description for Figure 1.3 Age distribution by Aboriginal identity, Saskatchewan, 2016

Figure 1.4 Top #AB_IDENT_TOPCMAs_PROV.recordcount# Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations by Aboriginal identity, Saskatchewan, 2016

Figure 1.4 description Long description for Figure 1.4 Top #AB_IDENT_TOPCMAs_PROV.recordcount# Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations by Aboriginal identity, Saskatchewan, 2016

Figure 1.5 First Nations people, Métis and Inuit for selected Aboriginal language indicators, Saskatchewan, 2016

Figure 1.5 description Long description for Figure 1.5 First Nations people, Métis and Inuit for selected Aboriginal language indicators, Saskatchewan, 2016

Figure 1.6 Top 10 most common Aboriginal mother tongues for the total Aboriginal Population, Saskatchewan, 2016

Figure 1.6 description Long description for Figure 1.6 Top 10 most common Aboriginal mother tongues for the total Aboriginal Population, Saskatchewan, 2016

Symbols:

···
not applicable
··
incompletely enumerated Indian reserve or Indian settlement
r
revised
E
use with caution

Source:

Statistics Canada. 2017. Focus on Geography Series, 2016 Census. Statistics Canada Catalogue no. 98-404-X2016001. Ottawa, Ontario. Data products, 2016 Census.

Date modified: