Focus on Geography Series, 2016 Census

Northwest Territories

Data quality

Total population by Aboriginal identity and Registered or Treaty Indian status, Northwest Territories, 2016 Census

Total population by Aboriginal identity and Registered or Treaty Indian status, Northwest Territories, 2016
Aboriginal identity Number Percent (%)
Total – Population by Aboriginal identity 41,135 100.0
Aboriginal identity 20,860 50.7
Single Aboriginal response 20,650 50.2
First Nations (North American Indian) single identity 13,185 32.1
First Nations single identity (Registered or Treaty Indian) 12,465 30.3
First Nations single identity (not a Registered or Treaty Indian) 720 1.8
Métis single identity 3,390 8.2
Inuk (Inuit) single identity 4,080 9.9
Multiple Aboriginal identities 160 0.4
Aboriginal identities not included elsewhere 55 0.1
Non-Aboriginal identity 20,275 49.3
  • In 2016, there were 20,860 Aboriginal people in Northwest Territories, making up 50.7% of the population.
  • The majority of the Aboriginal population reported a single Aboriginal identity – either First Nations, Métis or Inuk (Inuit). Of the Aboriginal population in Northwest Territories, 63.2% (13,185) were First Nations people, 16.3% (3,390) were Métis, and 19.6% (4,080) were Inuit.
  • Within the First Nations population, 94.5% (12,465) had Registered or Treaty Indian status, as defined under the Indian Act. The other 5.5% ( 720) of the First Nations population did not have Registered or Treaty Indian status.
  • In addition to those who reported a single Aboriginal identity, 160 people reported more than one Aboriginal identity and 55 were defined as having an Aboriginal identity that was not included elsewhere.

Figure 1.1 Distribution of the Aboriginal population by population centre size, Northwest Territories, 2016

Figure 1.1 description Long description for Figure 1.1 Distribution of the Aboriginal population by population centre size, Northwest Territories, 2016

Figure 1.2 Distribution of the First Nations population with registered Indian status by residence on or off reserve, Northwest Territories, 2016

Figure 1.2 description Long description for Figure 1.2 Distribution of the First Nations population with registered Indian status by residence on or off reserve, Northwest Territories, 2016

In general, the Aboriginal population is younger than the non-Aboriginal population.

Aboriginal children aged 14 and under represented 25.4% of the total Aboriginal population, while non-Aboriginal children aged 14 and under accounted for 17.3% of the non-Aboriginal population.

The average age of the Aboriginal population in Northwest Territories was 32.7 years, compared with 36.8 years for the non-Aboriginal population.

The average age was 33.0 years for First Nations people; it was 35.0 years for Métis; and it was 30.4 years for Inuit.

Figure 1.3 Age distribution by Aboriginal identity, Northwest Territories, 2016

Figure 1.3 description Long description for Figure 1.3 Age distribution by Aboriginal identity, Northwest Territories, 2016

Figure 1.5 First Nations people, Métis and Inuit for selected Aboriginal language indicators, Northwest Territories, 2016

Figure 1.5 description Long description for Figure 1.5 First Nations people, Métis and Inuit for selected Aboriginal language indicators, Northwest Territories, 2016

Figure 1.6 Top 10 most common Aboriginal mother tongues for the total Aboriginal Population, Northwest Territories, 2016

Figure 1.6 description Long description for Figure 1.6 Top 10 most common Aboriginal mother tongues for the total Aboriginal Population, Northwest Territories, 2016

Symbols:

···
not applicable
··
incompletely enumerated Indian reserve or Indian settlement
r
revised
E
use with caution

Source:

Statistics Canada. 2017. Focus on Geography Series, 2016 Census. Statistics Canada Catalogue no. 98-404-X2016001. Ottawa, Ontario. Data products, 2016 Census.

Date modified: